Tornado Preparedness for Commercial Properties
5 Steps to Prepare Your Business for a Tornado
With recent tornadoes landing across the country and more forecasted this week in Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma, we wanted to make sure our clients were equipped with the proper knowledge to keep their people and properties safe.
Tornadoes can happen at any time and bring intense winds of over 200 MPH, destroy buildings, flip cars, and create deadly flying debris.
While there is no way to prevent every risk, businesses in tornado-prone areas can take proactive and reactive steps that can minimize damages to facilities and the losses associated with business disruptions.
1. Minimize Flying Debris
- Assess your property for loose tree branches and limbs
- Remove trees that present a risk to your property or electrical lines
- Securely store any outdoor furniture or empty planters
2. Perform Routine Maintenance
- Inspect and repair loose or damaged building components including:
Siding, soffit, shingles, roofing mechanisms
3. Know Utility Shutoff Locations & How to Turn Off Safely
Some of the biggest risks during a tornado are gas leaks, fires, and flooding. Avoid this by knowing where your utility shut off switches and valves are.
- If your building has electrical damage, you will need to turn off the electricity at the main fuse box or electrical panels
- If you smell gas or hear a hissing sound post-storm, you will need to turn off on the main shut-off gas valve
- If you have a water line break during a storm, turn the water off by turning the main water shutoff valve clockwise
4. Close All Windows & Doors
- Don't let myths fool you - Make sure to close all windows and exterior and interior doors
5. Designate a Safe Room
- This can be the basement, or a small center room (ex: small bathroom or closet)
- Stay away from windows
- Keep a storm emergency kit here (ex: food, water, flashlights, batteries, first aid kit)
No one wants to think about weather-related worst-case scenarios but to prepare your business for a tornado and being aware of potential tornado events in your area can help protect you, your business, and employees from weather risks.
BlueTeam actively monitors your properties for tornado and storm warnings, keeping you and your team informed.
As your dedicated restoration, construction, and roofing provider, BlueTeam is here to assist by providing both preventative maintenance and post-storm response including emergency tarping, water extraction, and roof repairs.
Call us to schedule a site inspection 24/7: 855-522-8500 or enter an incident report directly into the app using the link below.