Weathering Hail Storms With Commercial Buildings
Hail storm damage is a significant risk to properties across the US. Every year businesses are pelted by hailstorms that devastate commercial roofs, siding, vehicles, and other equipment, resulting in unwanted expenses. Protect your business and property with these hail preparation and safety tips.
Signs of a Hailstorm
Hailstorms arise as a result of severe thunderstorms and are more likely to occur in the spring and summer months due to rising temperatures and humidity. Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to tell whether a thunderstorm will produce hail, but some indications are:
- Heavy rain
- Strong winds
- Changes in wind direction
- Sudden drops in temperature
Additionally, radar can detect hail, so being cognizant of weather forecasts and alerts during severe thunderstorms can provide you with some warning about possible hail.
Hail Size Matters
The size of the hailstones can affect the degree of damage, if any, to your property. A hailstone can vary in size, being as small as a pea to as large as a softball. Hail size 1.25 inch or larger is considered severe and can cause minimal to major damage including damage to shingles or holes in your property.
Protecting Your Property
Roof damage is the most common result of a hailstorm, but there are also less obvious consequences including damage to skylights, HVAC systems, windows, and gutters. Staying proactive can help your business save money in the long run.
- Select class 3 or 4 impact-resistant roof coverings for a new building or when re-roofing.
- Invest in storm shutters or ensure soft protective coverings such as blinds or curtains are installed to lessen harm and additional damage inside.
- Ensure your gutters and downspouts are kept clear so hail water can properly drain if accumulated on your roof.
- Consider hails guards for your HVAC system. Hail impact on the fins of the coil assemblies can cause loss of heating and cooling. Hail guards offer some protection to your systems, which may increase longevity.
BlueTeam has your back.
Our proprietary software system notifies us of probable hail strikes at our clients' portfolio properties, allowing us to keep you updated on potential threats, but if your team sees signs of hail please reach out to us.
Our dedicated inspection team performs roof inspections for our clients to assess damages from recent hail impacts, giving you peace of mind when it comes to hail storm damage.
Call us today to schedule a roof inspection 24/7: 855-522-8500 or enter an incident report directly into the app using the link below.